Share this Post
NSW GOVERNMENT JUMPS AT OPPORTUNITY TO SUPPORT KANGA CUP IN QUEANBEYAN
Monday, 9 July 2018
The 2018 Kanga Cup kicks off today with thousands of participants converging on the region for a week of football, culture, fun and friendship.
Deputy Premier and Member for Monaro John Barilaro said the NSW Government has provided $25,000 funding to support the annual Kanga Cup, building on the success of last year’s event.
“The Kanga Cup is the largest international youth football tournament in the Southern Hemisphere and for the second year running Queanbeyan is hosting part of the cup,” Mr Barilaro said.
“Hosting this event will mean a massive boost for our region with 5500 international and domestic participants making up more than 370 teams for this fantastic sporting event.
“Queanbeyan’s own Monaro Panthers Football Club is hosting the U10 age group, bringing hundreds of players, families and supporters to Queanbeyan.”
Minister for Sport Stuart Ayres said the Kanga Cup is the kind of sporting event that brings the community together and showcases the region.
“The 2018 Kanga Cup will bring together thousands of excited players, coaches and volunteers for a fantastic week of junior sport,” Mr Ayres said.
“I encourage everyone to get down and cheer on the players showing their club pride.”
Monaro Panthers Business Manager and event organizer Haidee Whiteley thanked Mr Barilaro, Mr Ayres and the NSW Liberals and Nationals Government for the funding.
“Our club is very excited to host the U10 age group again this year and it would not be possible without the support that the NSW Government has shown our club, our competition and this event,” Mrs Whiteley said.
The Kanga Cup is on from 9 – 13 July. For further event info visit: https://kangacup.com/.